Immigration to Turkey
Turkey as a country
Turkey is a transcontinental country located at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, bridging the gap between the Eastern and Western worlds. It possesses a unique blend of cultures, histories, and landscapes, making it a fascinating and diverse nation. As a transcontinental country, Turkey is often described as a “Eurasian” country, with its territory spread across two continents.
Modern Turkey is a vibrant and dynamic country with a rapidly developing economy and infrastructure. It is known for its cosmopolitan cities, bustling markets, and contemporary architecture. The country’s major cities, including Istanbul, Ankara, and Izmir, are hubs of commerce, culture, and innovation, attracting people from all over the world.
Istanbul, the largest city in Turkey, has a particularly captivating allure as it straddles both Europe and Asia. With a history spanning over 2,000 years, Istanbul is a treasure trove of ancient landmarks and architectural wonders, beautifully juxtaposed against a modern and bustling metropolis. The city is dotted with iconic sites such as the Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and the Topkapi Palace, serving as a reminder of its illustrious past as the capital of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires.
The Old City of Istanbul, also known as Sultanahmet, is a UNESCO World Heritage site, preserving the rich heritage and culture of the city. Its narrow cobbled streets, historical buildings, and vibrant bazaars evoke a sense of nostalgia and wonder. On the other hand, the modern areas of Istanbul, such as Taksim Square and Istiklal Street, exude a contemporary charm with modern architecture, trendy boutiques, and lively entertainment venues.
Turkey’s cultural richness, friendly locals, delectable cuisine, and diverse landscapes, ranging from the stunning Mediterranean coastline to the otherworldly landscapes of Cappadocia, make it an enticing destination for both tourists and expatriates. Its unique position at the crossroads of civilizations has contributed to its vibrant culture and tradition, making Turkey an extraordinary country that blends the old and the new in a mesmerizing way.
Immigration process of Turkey
Migrating to Turkey involves several steps and visa categories, each catering to different purposes of immigration. The process may vary based on your nationality and the reason for your move. Here is a general outline of the immigration process to Turkey:
- Determine the Purpose of Immigration: Before starting the immigration process, you need to identify the purpose of your move to Turkey. Are you planning to work, study, join family members, start a business, or simply live in Turkey for an extended period? The purpose of your immigration will determine the appropriate visa or residence permit category you should apply for.
- Entry Visa or E-Visa: If you are a citizen of a country that requires an entry visa to enter Turkey, you will need to apply for it before your trip. Turkey offers an e-visa system for many nationalities, which allows travelers to obtain a visa online for tourism and business purposes. E-visas are generally valid for short stays of up to 90 days within a 180-day period.
- Residence Permit: If you plan to stay in Turkey for an extended period, you will need to apply for a residence permit. The residence permit allows you to live in Turkey legally and enjoy the benefits of long-term residency. There are different types of residence permits depending on the purpose of your stay, such as short-term residence permits and long-term residence permits.
- Short-Term Residence Permit: The short-term residence permit is suitable for individuals who wish to stay in Turkey for up to one year. It is commonly used for purposes such as tourism, business, or educational activities. To apply for a short-term residence permit, you need to provide the required documentation, which may include a valid passport, a rental contract or property deed, proof of financial means, and health insurance.
- Long-Term Residence Permit: If you have lived in Turkey for at least eight years consecutively with a valid residence permit, you may be eligible to apply for a long-term residence permit. This type of permit is granted for an indefinite period and offers greater flexibility and benefits for long-term residents.
- Work Permit: If you have a job offer from a Turkish employer, you will need to apply for a work permit to work legally in Turkey. The employer needs to initiate the work permit application process on your behalf by submitting the required documents to the Ministry of Labor and Social Security. Once approved, you can apply for a work visa at the Turkish consulate or embassy in your home country.
- Student Residence Permit: If you are accepted into a Turkish educational institution, you can apply for a student residence permit to study in Turkey. The student residence permit is typically granted for the duration of your study program.
- Family Residence Permit: Family members of Turkish citizens or residents with a valid residence permit can apply for family reunification to join their family members in Turkey. The sponsoring family member needs to apply for a family residence permit on behalf of their family members.
- Business Residence Permit: Entrepreneurs and business owners who wish to establish and operate a business in Turkey can apply for a business residence permit. This permit allows them to manage their business activities in the country.
- Real Estate Residence Permit: Foreigners who own property in Turkey can apply for a real estate residence permit. This type of permit is granted for renewable periods and is linked to the ownership of the property.
It is essential to carefully review the specific requirements and documentation for each visa or residence permit type before applying. The immigration process can be complex, and requirements may vary based on your nationality and the purpose of your stay. Consulting with the Turkish consulate or embassy in your home country or seeking legal advice can help you navigate the process more efficiently and ensure a successful immigration to Turkey. Now get your journey started because you have chosen a great country to move to. Turley is a modern country with a lot of potential and you will have a great time there.